Thursday, July 19, 2012

Nordstrom and Traditions

Traditions, we all have them. They are the simple things in life that we look forward to and bring such joy. Why is this? Is it because of the stability of it? You know once a year it will happen, even though you can't predict what else may come in this crazy, beautiful life of ours. Most people associate tradition with the holidays, but for me there is one tradition I enjoy that has nothing to do with the holidays, well unless you consider the beginning of fall fashion a holiday, which maybe we should :)

Every year the Nordstrom catalogue comes in the mail, how exciting it is to flip through the pages, circling your wish list and getting a first glimpse at fall trends. And then the day finally arrives, the first day of the sale! It is an ancient tradition as old as time, well ok you caught me, its not that old. But as far back as I remember though the first weekend of the anniversary sale consists of the ladies in my family waking up early, Starbucks in hand, waiting for the glorious doors to open so we may scour the racks like wild animals. I typically end up with half the store in my dressing room, and I will admit I won't come home with THAT much, but it is fun to try on the new trends; decide what you have to have, what you can find cheaper, what you can skip completely, and what you want to try and make on your own.

The Nordstrom sale usually signifies a new beginning for me. In the past it was the beginning of the school year, so I would choose out a few tops that were my statement pieces for the year, a pair of shoes, and maybe some jeans or an accessory or two. For whatever reason though the sale feels like a clean slate. I get to choose how I want people to see me this year, am I punk? hipster? classy? casual? Now that school is over things have not changed much. I still look at this as my New Year's. This year will be a milestone in my life; I will be an Aunt for the first time, change jobs, make headway on my career, and focus on pursuing all simple things that bring me joy.

I hope you guys are as excited for this weekend as I am! Happy shopping and I wish you all the best of luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment