Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Upholstered Bed Skirt

On a rainy Sunday morning I decided to get creative and make some finishing touches to my room. In March I moved to a new home and although everything has been unpacked for 2 months now, the place is not fully put together. There are just some minor details that have been bothering me, for example, up until Sunday my bed looked something like this:                         


                                                                                  Before:

I am definitely embarrassed. Its awful, I know, and I am sure I am not the only one dealing with this, so I decided to make an easy, cheap, and fun fix! This tutorial is SUPER easy, although, I will give the warning that it is not an easy task by yourself, and if you can find someone to lend an extra hand it will be well worth it. Keep in mind, this is just a wrap for the edges that show, this will not fully encase the box spring, just the visible parts. Lets begin!


Supplies:

  • desired fabric. I have a Queen size bed, after measuring the box spring I decided 7 yards would fit fine because I was not going to fully wrap around the entire box, knowing that one end would always be up against the wall. If you are a perfectionist hen I suggest 7.5 yds. for a Queen. The fabric I used was burlap, I love the earthy look of it, also I did use 1 layer folded, if you do not use this method then you can use 3.5-3.75 yds. 
  • studs
  • fabric glue
  • stapler
  • scissors
Step 1: First turn your box spring on its side, I laid out the the fabric starting 6 inches around the corner that will remain against the wall. Secure the fabric using staples (against the wood on the bottom of the box spring) and then pull tightly and secure the fabric on top of the box spring. I made sure that the fabric on top of my box spring (the part that the actual mattress sits on) was even and went about 2 inches over the edge onto the top. If you prefer to use glue that is fine. The method you choose is flexible, as long as you find a way of securing fabric to your box spring so that it is pulled tightly and won't come undone. 

Step 2: On the corners I decided I liked the look of the fold, so I decided to create a crease, and fold the fabric back a quarter inch to add layers. This is where an extra set of hands is useful, one person will need to create the fold and keep it tight while the other person secures the fabric on the top and bottom again using stables or glue. Continue this method all the way around the box spring.

Step 3: The fabric should be pulled tight, secured, and encasing the box spring all the way around. If there is any excessive amounts of loose fabric on the bottom of your bed feel free to cut it off. I did not make perfect cuts because hey, no one will notice whats under your bed. You can now lay down the box spring on the ground and enjoy the fact that the hard part is over, you are so close to finishing a gorgeous new face lift on your bed!

Step 4: Although I have folds made, I first wanted to fully secure the folds so I put fabric glue in the middle of the fold and pressed the fold shut adding pressure.  

Step 5: now time to place the studs, I purchased push-pin studs but if you would like studs similar to the ones in a be-dazzler, or even buttons that would work just fine. I encased my folds with the studs, creating 2 columns of 7 studs. Feel free to add more or less, be creative and find what suits you best! In order to secure the studs I added glue to the back, pressed them in and held them there for a bit to dry. Make sure your lines are even though because you are gluing them in! If you need to mark the spots first, go ahead and do that. 

After its all said and done this was my end product:

After:
The project did not take long at all, it was super easy and my end results were better then I could have hoped for! I hope you guys get inspired to make your own, if anyone makes an animal print bedskirt I would LOVE to see pics! 

6 comments:

LunaMoonbeam said...

Oh my...I love this!! What a clean, classic look...but really unique, as well. Great job!

The Story of a Blonde said...

Thank you so much! I was so tired of looking at an old box spring, what a downer in style and this was WAY cheaper then going out and buying a bed skirt from the store, especially when your using coupons ;)

Unknown said...

What kind of studs did you use?

The Story of a Blonde said...

I used the brass hammered decorative tacks from Dritz. You can purchase them from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-9010-Upholstery-Decorative-Hammered/dp/B000GIG7BC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461601316&sr=8-1&keywords=dritz+brass+hammered

kariejane said...

now you can add some table feet if you get sick of it being on the floor.

Jas said...

How did you secure the burlap to the top of there was no wood? Did you use Staples on bottom and glue on top?

Post a Comment